Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rainy Season

Lately I have been devouring books. Not that we have and unlimited access library, but there is a small library and people often leave the books they came with. Over the past weekend I read two books. One was a fictional WWII story of German occupation creeping through Europe and the other was a memoir by Nicholas Sparks titled Three Weeks with My Brother. Even though some of Sparks’ movie adaptations are good I have never been particularly interested in actually reading his books, but after reading this memoir one, I kind of want to read a few now. He was really good at telling his own story so I can only wonder what he makes up. However, I also get emotionally involved in books so now I want to visit Germany and Austria again, and take an around the around-the-world trip….next summer sound good? Yeah. Next up the sequel to my WWII book and The Silver Chair (I wanted Voyage of the Dawn Treador but it wasn’t in the library).

This week I’m working in the pharmacy. In the first five minutes I was thinking it was going to be so monotonous and boring, but the next thing I knew, Sarah was telling me it was time for lunch…I thought it was still early in the morning! It’s a busy little place in the hospital. It was fun though getting to chat with the patients, granted my “chatting” only takes me so far, but I did talk with moms, husbands, or sisters of the patients and ask how they were doing. I even jotted down a few of the phrases in Lingala when the person didn’t know the French terms. I couldn’t ever figure out though if there was any inventory going on. Even though we wrote down each time we gave out a medication or supply item, there didn’t seem to be any check up system with that. So usually when someone notices a med getting low, they tell someone in administration, but often that system fails and we are left without the med/supplies that we need. It’s interesting to try to get people to think ahead for the future when usually they are used to living/surviving day to day.

In other news it has just been a rainy few days, with a torrential downpour today that made it seem like all of Congo was sleeping. And we are possibly switching to 12 hour shifts for nurses. It’s only in the first stages of ideas, but something to pray about nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment