Saturday, June 12, 2010

Free Weekend

So this weekend is completely open, which is nice so I can get some organizing done. The Ralston's are leaving for the states on Tuesday, which means we will be doing our own maintenance stuff and cooking. So Joan, Sarah, and I have to know how to run the whole house on our own. Danielle has been passing on her African-adapted recipes and next week is going to be one big test on how we do. However, I do have bread making down pat! So there is going to be a learning curve going on for the next month, but I think we can make it. A couple things we will be doing to maintain a running household: fill kerosene in the fridge, filter water daily, keep battery water levels up, replace the gazbon (butane tank) for the stove and oven, and several other little around-the-house cleaning projects. No problem, right? Right.

Also, sorry mom, dad, and Lauren for forgetting my headphones! I can't believe the internet was working well enough for skype! Let's keep our fingers crossed for next weekend. But regardless I'm glad I got to see faces! I can't believe I've already been gone for a month! And as for that food picture...going clockwise from the rice: rice (duh), crocodile (a little too fishy for me), mantiok (a root that's dried, powdered, then steamed to get out all of the arsenic), antelope (delicious!), and steamed mantiok leaves (too bitter). I felt I was being pretty adventurous with that meal. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment